It’s panic stations! I need to make a claim. What do I do?

They’re the big guys. You’re the little guy. And now you have a team of people to help you. Because you’re with Jack.

  1. If your client’s threatening you with a claim, don’t admit liability.
  2. Get in touch with Jack immediately. We’ll help you navigate the murky waters of making a claim. Please tell us:
    • What happened (including any communication, emails, contracts etc)
    • The date of the incident
    • A list of the parties involved
    • How much money may be at stake
  3. Document any communication, emails or proof to help you with your claim.

If it’s covered under your policy, you’ll be back in the same financial position after the claim as you enjoyed before the claim. Your insurer can appoint lawyers and experts to defend you and also offer emotional support.

When should I make a claim?

Alert us at the first inkling you have of a situation gone awry:

  • If you’ve made a mistake in your work that you think could give rise to a claim, let us know.
  • If a client is expressing dissatisfaction with your work or refusing payment, let us know.
  • If someone nicked your work tablet, let us know.

You don’t have to wait until solicitors are knocking at your door. At the very least your insurer will be able to provide emotional support and put your mind at ease.

The worst thing you can do is admit liability and get yourself in even more of a bind. Your insurer will outline the best course of action so you can avoid this.

I'm a freelancer. Can With Jack arrange insurance for me?

If you’re a freelancer such as a web or graphic designer, developer, illustrator, photographer, marketer, copywriter or consultant, yes we can! We’ve tailored our service and product selection to these unique few so that we can offer as personal a service as possible. If you’re not sure if we can help you, drop us a line and we’ll let you know.

I'm a limited company. Can With Jack arrange insurance for me?

Yes. The policies we arrange are designed to defend claims brought against you in relation to your professional services, whether that’s as a sole trader or limited company.

What is business insurance? Do I need it?

Business insurance is, in a nutshell, business-related peace of mind. Think of it as protecting all the wheels, cogs, nuts and bolts of your livelihood.

All businesses should be insured to some degree. If you offer advice or services to clients, you should consider professional indemnity. This will compensate you for the financial loss if a project goes wrong. With professional indemnity, it’s (almost) as if the problem had never happened: you’re put back in the same financial position as before.

I have clients sign a contract. Do I still need to be insured?

With every claim we’ve seen there’s been a contract in place. Having a contract is an important part of freelancing, because it sets out what’s expected of you and your client. However, that doesn’t stop a client from making a claim against you when those expectations come into question. That’s when insurance comes into its own, giving you access to a legal team and the security of knowing you’re financially protected.

Am I legally required to have business insurance?

The only insurance that’s legally required is employers’ liability. You need it if you have people working for you — or if you’re a limited company with more than one Director and you split equity equally.

However, it’s good practice to be professionally insured even as a freelancer. Anyone who offers a service or gives advice to clients should consider professional indemnity insurance.

I do design and development. Can I cover both under one policy?

You can add two activities to the same policy using our quote tool. For example, if you’re a developer and consultant we’ll insure both activities under the same policy.

We understand creative work is often multidisciplinary and doesn’t fit neatly into one box. That’s why we’ve created With Jack to flex around your work. If you need to add more activities or something we’ve not listed, get in touch and we’ll sort tailored cover just for you.

What is professional indemnity insurance? Should I get it?

Any careless mistakes in your work, mishandling of intellectual property or ill-informed advice could get you in a bind. According to And Co, 44% of freelancers have had problems with a client. Apart from the financial risk, it can also be emotionally taxing.

Professional indemnity insurance will protect you financially and legally if that happens. If you provide a service to clients, handle data or offer advice, then yeah you should consider this cover.

We asked ourselves one important question…

What do we want out of an insurance provider?

With Jack is the answer

Can With Jack offer other kinds of business insurance?

You can buy professional indemnity insurance, public liability, legal expenses and contents insurance on our website. If there’s another type of cover you’re after (for example employers’ liability), contact us. There’s a good chance we can just add it to your quote.

We’re always working on ways to make business insurance better for freelancers so we’ll roll out new products to our system as we, and our customers, grow.

What is contents insurance for business?

A lot of people have contents insurance for their personal belongings. However, those policies usually exclude work equipment. That’s why there’s specialist contents insurance for laptops, cameras, tablets, etc. that you use for work. All policies differ, but at With Jack your contents are insured worldwide. Our customers insure an average of £10,000 of equipment!

Do you only insure UK businesses?

At the moment, yes. Although we’d love to expand further afield in the future, we’re currently focused on the UK.

I work with US clients. Will my international work be covered?

By default your professional indemnity policy will cover you worldwide, excluding US and Canada jurisdiction. Just get in touch to let us know you work with US and Canadian clients. We’ll then build this cover into your policy (this will increase the price of your premium).

How much is insurance?

That’s like asking a web designer or developer how much it would cost to create a website. It depends on your level of cover and turnover. If your annual revenue is anywhere up to £250,000, you can expect to pay around £168 for £1,000,000 of professional indemnity. This is for 12 months of cover, which works out at £14 per month. When you buy insurance through With Jack, can choose to pay monthly or upfront.

How is my insurance policy calculated?

Policies can cost far less than you might think. Your policy depends on a few factors, but we like to keep things simple:

  • Your annual turnover
  • Level of cover
  • Whether you’ve had any claims in the past

Don’t be tempted to duck and dive around business insurance. If that claim comes knocking and you’re not covered correctly, you’ll wish you had got yourself protected.

Where can I find my invoices?

We include your payment schedule in the policy document folder you receive once you’ve purchased or renewed your policy. This outlines all payments, including the date debited and amount collected. Insurance is VAT exempt so there will not be a traditional VAT invoice.

Is business insurance tax deductible?

It sure is. Business insurance is an expense like hiring an accountant, buying work equipment or paying for software that’s used for business. Business insurance is required for business purposes, so it’s a cost you can deduct from your profits before tax.

Do you pay VAT on insurance?

No, insurance is VAT exempt, but you have to pay Insurance Premium Tax (IPT). The government raised IPT from 10% to 12% in 2017, so if your renewal is a little pricier, that explains why.

What's a retroactive date?

It’s a date in the past, before your insurance cover started. If a claim arises for work you did before the retroactive date, you won’t be covered. If you’re buying business insurance for the first time, your retroactive date will be the start date of your policy. If you’ve been in business for a while and had continuous cover, your retroactive date will reflect however long you’ve had uninterrupted insurance for. It’s a good idea to get insured as soon as possible.

What's the difference between ‘in the aggregate’ and ‘each claim’?

‘In the aggregate’ means ‘total sum paid out over the course of your entire policy period’. Let’s say you’re a freelance designer with £1,000,000 of professional indemnity insurance. If your policy is ‘in the aggregate’ it means £1,000,000 is the accumulative total your insurer will pay within the policy period. ‘Each claim’ would cover up to £1,000,000 for each and every claim within the policy period. The £1,000,000 ‘pot’ is reset for each claim. All policies are different, but at With Jack your policy is on an ‘each claim’ basis.

Can't fathom how it all works? Here's the nitty gritty.

With Jack works for you, arranging flexible insurance on your behalf through our provider, Beazley. We also support you if you need to make a claim.

While we’re here to help you figure out insurance, we won’t give advice or make a recommendation as to what policy would be best for your individual circumstances. We provide a customer journey tailored to freelancers, as well as key information so that you can make an informed decision about your insurance. We’ll also provide you with relevant benefits that you won’t find elsewhere.

Your premium stays in an Insurer Trust account until we pay them to your insurance company, or directly back to you. All of this happens in line with Financial Conduct Authority regulations.

We arrange your insurance with Beazley. Your policy summary or policy document will notify you how to make a claim and who to contact, but we recommend you contact With Jack directly so we can monitor and help.

With Jack isn’t an insurer, but we are an authorised intermediary. We earn a commission from Beazley, the insurer we place your business with. You’re entitled to ask us any time about the commission we received for arranging your insurance.